PrestAds

Saturday 2 November 2013

AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH DAMOLA 'SAMA'


I had this CRAZY interview with one of the dance kings and Krump Lord of the University Of Lagos, Damola 'SAMA' also called Lycan Wolf because of his 'animalistic' Krump dance. The interview was conducted in the college of medicine of the university of Lagos where he studies. Read full interview after the cut.


*How did the name damola 'sama' come about?

Ok, first of all, my full name is Adedamola Adeyemi, so you can tell where the damola came from. The 'sama' is actually a japanese word for elder. So that's it Damola 'sama'


*Tell us a bit about your family.

I am from a very interesting and loving family.(Laughs) In fact, we are so large we could make a football team with substitutes. Ok, I have seven siblings, four brothers and 3 sisters. I am the first born. I also have three mums and a dad though. A very large family it is.


*large indeed. so, did your parents support your dance career?

Well, not exactly. My mum doesn't like idea of me dancing. She says she doesn't want it to affect my school work and that it makes me 'lean' (laughs). My dad doesn't officially know, but he has seen a few videos that my siblings show to him and he hasn't said anything about it yet.

*Now a question I know many ladies would want an answer to. What's your relationship status? In other words, are you in the 'market'?

(Laughs out loud) Am I permitted to say no comments?

*You do need to clear the air

Well, I have a girlfriend, I am not going to say any further though.


*Tell us a little about your educational history.

I attended St Joseph Nur/Pry school, Agege. Then transfered to Military primary school, Ikeja cantonment. I had my secondary school education in Anwa-ur-islam model college, Agege. The oldest muslin school in west Africa. Now I am in the great institution, University of Lagos, studying dentistry and in a few months time, its ok to call me a dental doctor.


*Whats your training and background in dance like, and how long have you been choreographing?

I have loved dance since my childhood, watching and miming Micheal Jackson and the thriller video. I started doing major dances when I was in part 1 of medical school, that's like 2007 or 2008. I did a dance for my fellowship group, Believers Love World(BLW), Christ Embassy. Been choreographing since then though. People find it difficult to believe when I tell them that I didn't go to any dance or art school to learn. It has always been personal training.

*Hard word is the key. So, what styles of dance do you teach?

I teach basically Hip-Hop dance style, but my niche is KRUMP dance.


*hmm, what age group do you prefer to teach?

I won't really categorize it into age groups. I would rather say I prefer to teach professionals and really talented dancers. It's just easier working with them.


*What inspires your dances and how you teach?

Most of the time, its the beat. When I hear a good beat.


*What your favorite part of being a dance teacher.

Well, I would say the look my dancers have on when they learn something new. That look of fulfillment. Also the response of the audience after watching a dance I choreographed.


*Whats your most memorable moment as far as dance is concerned.

When I had the opportunity to perform on the same stage with pastor chris on the same stage at a conference in 2011. It had live broadcast all over the world. The. Auditorium itself had about 25,000 international delegates. It was a memorable one.


*Name a few celebrities in the Nigerian entertainment industry that you have worked with.

Uhm, the thing is, the crews I handle now are with BLW fellowship, so we have reservations concerning circular artistes, but we have received a number of requests, we had to turn them down. So, maybe when gospel artistes come along.


*Now, in the next 5years, where do you see yourself and what major project concerning dance are you working on now.

Next 5years, that should be 2018, well, I have not started working on any major dance project yet, but I have conceived dome ideas and it should be put into motion within the next 5years. That would include submitting proposals to various local governments to include dance in the curriculum of secondary schools aside their physical and health education. Then thing is, I actually love children(laughs) and I believe in catching them young. I plan to start in Lagos, Nigeria. Much later, I plan to start an academy.


*what advice would you give to young and aspiring dancers.

I will tell you two things.
 One is to be very passionate otherwise there would be no drive.
Two is to respect your superiors and people
You met in the art. I have seen a lot of talented dancers crumble and just cease to exist because they lacked respect. Don't step on people's toes while climbing the ladder.


*Thank you so much for your time. I had fun all the way. So, who would you want to give a shout out to?

To the Testify Dance Crew. They are closest family when It comes to dance. I started with them and I am still with them. Also to my role model(laughs). The father of Krump, Tight Eyes. I am sure onw way or another, he's gonna read this interview.

TO CONTACT DAMOLA 'SAMA':
MOBILE: +2348094647084, BLACKBERRY PIN: 28D6E802, IG: Damola_sama, TWITTER: damolasama


No comments:

Post a Comment