PrestAds

Thursday 26 September 2013

MUST READ: EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW OF “AKA”


I had an exclusive interview with one of the top dancers and choreographers in the UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, populaly known as "aka" and here what he has to say...

Tell us your full name and were you come from:
         My names are KELVIN AMAMIZE IFECHUKWU, popularly known as AKA. I am from Oshimile North in Delta State, Nigeria.

Tell us a little about your family:
         I am the first child and only child of my parents. I have four younger sisters. I have a loving family, very principled and from a Christian background.

Am sure the ladies would like to know your relationship status. So are you ‘in the market’?
       Well I am not dating anyone at the moment. I am still trying to package myself before entering the market.

So, what’s your educational history like?
         I had my SSCE from Nigerian Premier College,  ND in computer science from Lagos State Polytechnic. I am currently studying economics as a part time course in the University Of Lagos.

How long have u been dancing.
I have been dancing since JSS3.

Tell us about your training and background in dance.
         Started by ‘self practice’ and joined several dance crews, one of which is PEACE MAKERS. We taught each other. I attended Latin Dance Academy to learn Ballroom dancing. I attended dance classes when Battery Dance Company (based in new York) had sessions in Nigeria. I also have a certificate on Contemporary dance style.

What styles of dance do you major in both as a dancer and choreographer?
         I started by learning and teaching all styles of dances but later stuck to Contemporary. I once went for Malta Guiness Street Dance as a hip-hop dancer.

What age bracket would you rather teach?
        I prefer to teach teens and young adults rather than the older ones. The older ones tend to have problems with following instructions although the younger ones could also give a hard time trying to learn the routines.

What inspires you in what you do?
         [Laughs] Money used to be it. Later it was the zeal to prove a point. But now, I think the Bible, especially the parables in it. It inspires my choreography.

What is your favourite part of been a dance teacher?
          Well I would say the feeling I get after watching my piece being executed to perfection.

What would you say is your most memorable moment in all your years of experience?
          On the negative side, the day I fell on stage. It was my first time on stage. It was really embarrassing. On the positive side, I would say at the David’s Court International concert. Watching my production captivate the audience so much they couldn’t afford to blink.

Could you name a few celebrities in the Nigerian entertainment industry that you have worked with in previous years?
       I have worked with kc presh, Wasiu Ayinde, Julius Agwu, Kush, Sunny Nneji.

Were do you see yourself in the next five years?
       I see myself with my wife and kids [laughs].owner of a dance company and also a script writing firm were people can drop ideas and stories for movies and commercials.

What major project concerning dance are you working on now?
        I am currently working with COHC for her youth chapel anniversary. I would be doing a dance with my dance partner Finsayo.

What word of advice would you give to young and aspiring dancers?
        Go to school. Don’t put talent before school and never stop working hard.

Who would you want to give a shout out to?
         I want to give a shout out to GOD thanking him for the gift, also to my friends, to DCI, COHC dance crew, and to my parents and siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment